Jan 29, 2019
The purpose of this job is to assure the overall effectiveness and continuous improvement of the Health, Safety, Environment, Quality and Food Safety systems; You are responsible for establishing plans and procedures across the organization, training, coaching, further developing a strong safety culture where personal ownership of QHS&E performance is the aim to ensure improvement efforts meet or exceed internal and external customer's needs and expectations.
One mid-size site certified against ISO 9001, FSSC 22000, ISO 14001, OHSAS 1801 (integrated management systems).
Tight connection with local Quality Control Manager and QHSE assurance manager
Lead a team of 8-10 people (technicians and expert)
This would suit an enthusiastic and ambitious individual with a strong personality and a proven ability to lead by example.
Reports to: Solid line report to VP QHS&E Europe and dotted line report to local General Manager
• Ensure compliance with Quality, Food Safety, Health, Safety, & Environmental regulation and Maintain close liaison with Enforcing Authorities;
• Ensure that the Safety Environmental Management Systems are implemented, controlled and maintained in accordance with the standards; Owns certifications.
• Support, Carry out audits and review processes;
• Lead local HACCP team
• Ensures relevant GMP's are implemented, perform regular hygiene and housekeeping visits and follows-up.
• Develop the skills of his /her team in a continuous manner.
• Facilitate execution of Firmenich QHS&E strategy locally with direction from VP QHS&E Europe.
• Implement Firmenich HS&E Management Principle, Codes, Standards and Guidance in line with the Local HS&E Management System and provide relevant training to all affiliate personnel;
• Ensure arrangements are in place for QHS&E audits/reviews and inspections of the workplace, plant and equipment in order to monitor compliance with the Company QHS&E Management System and local legal requirements;
• Ensure all occupational injuries/illnesses, dangerous occurrences, incidents and at risk behaviors are fully investigated and reported with findings and recommendations for preventive action and corrective action where appropriate. Ensure that recommendations are implemented;
• Advise and assist in all risk assessment activities, including advice on new investments and projects locally;
• Assist local management in the development and execution of a local QHS&E Improvement Plan; Drive its implementation and monitor this against local Objectives and Targets;
• Prepare monthly and quarterly QHSE local management reports and delivery of presentations on a regular basis. Propose course of action to remedy identified weaknesses (customer claims, internal non conformances, HS&E incident etc);
• Implement best practices, deploy QHS&E tools and working directly with line management, adopt a “hands on” approach to the development and implementation of local solutions;
• Encourage and assist clients, supply chain Operations and staff to adopt best practice;
• Encourage and sustain a real passion and commitment to world class QHS&E performance;
• Promote the company as a safe and environmentally responsible company;
• Work as part of a high performing team and be a team player;
• Be a pragmatic leader and motivator in all aspects of health and safety matters;
• Challenge status quo and seek real innovation in all areas, be independent
• VP QHS&E Europe and Local General Manager
• Local Supply Chain Manager and Site departments (QC, R&D, Industrialization, Purchasing, Toll Manufacturing, Planning, Production, Logistic, Regulatory Affairs, Maintenance)
• HS&E Committee meetings
• Senior HSE manager from other Sites in ZEU
• Local /Regional Legal & Compliance community
• Local Authorities
• Certification bodies, External experts/consultants
• Participate to relevant working groups of professional associations
• All employees
Experience, Education & Skills:
• Min Engineer (or equivalent Degree) in food industry and/or chemistry (food industry preferred).
• Successful experience in managing and developing a team of technicians and experts.
• Strong knowledge in Micro-bio technics, regulation and standard.
• At least 5 years experience at a similar position preferably in the flavor or food industry and in site(s) certified against ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, FSSC 2000 or equivalent.(BRC, IFS)
• Experience in Management systems certifications ISO 9001, ISO 14001, OHSAS 18001, FSSC 2000 or equivalent.
•Knowledge of QHSE regulatory requirements;
• Demonstration of solid decision making track record – including but not limited to managerial issues, cultural and employee relations issues, and cross-functional communication and collaboration
• Professional Food safety qualification required to lead HACCP team;
• Knowledge and experience of process safety risk analysis;
• Interpersonal and people skills as well as good communication and presentation skills;
• Demonstrated personal strengths in leadership, coordination, collaboration, professional communications and strategic planning.
• Fluent in English (written & spoken) and in French
Louvain-la-Neuve, Ottignies-Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium