Jan 29, 2019
ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC FORESIGHT – EUROPE & IMA
This position can be based in EUROPE at any of the following Firmenich office locations: Vienna, Brussels, London, Paris.
The successful candidate for this role will be an integral member of the Trenz and Foresights team within the global Human Insights (HI) team for Firmenich Flavors. The focus of this role is trend detection and foresight development within the European region, but in collaboration with the global Strategic Foresight team, and extends to provide inspiration to other key regions, particularly Middle East, India and Africa. (Possibly LATAM)
This position will report directly to the VP and Global Leader of Consumer and Sensory Insights for the Flavor Division, and maintain a dotted line to European Flavor leadership team.
Candidate will be the go-to expert on consumer trends with senior, internal stakeholders and external customers in the region, and will ensure Firmenich grows its competitive edge through consistent and impactful presentations and immersive events (TrenzWalks™, Sensoriums™, virtual and video content) to bring differentiated concepts and insights. Candidate will take a leadership role in identifying and codifying trends at the macro level (societal, behavioral) and within the Food and Beverage landscape. Candidate will help to translate these conclusions into creative inputs and new product ideas. Candidate will help define and grow the new Human Insights role for the category by providing cross-disciplinary teams with insights into human behavior, needs, and preferences.
- Develop new Strategic Foresight content by anticipating/signaling the major changes in the socio-economic and cultural landscape that could inspire our innovation (teams)
- Observe changes in society through continuous monitoring of diverse sources (retail, technology, futurists, thought leaders, and the streets at large)
- Participate in the definition of the Trenz strategy and framework, along with our Perfumery colleagues, to develop a stronger corporate level positioning for the Trenz tool to remain a key differentiator for our company.
- Bring the Human Insights vision to life through the development and management of trends and foresight capability in Europe.
- Connect-the-dots between consumer needs, Firmenich technology platforms, Business Development and key business units (Marketing, Sales teams) to identify and create new and actionable concepts and brand opportunities.
- Build a network of trends signal detection “stations” within the European and IMA regions including: urban culture centers, artist networks (both street art and gallery grade art), chefs, bartenders, food bloggers, etc.
- Communicate Trenz and Foresights internally in clear, exciting, and actionable manner. Engage the global FL creative community to help define how Trenz and Foresights can be brought to life in terms of inspiration for innovation
- Connect/train Trenz representatives in the different Zones to maximize global impact of Trenz and transfer /sharing of good working practices. Advise the sales/marketing teams/category leaders on the use of Trenz to strengthen their strategies
- Train and inspire Marketing team members to understand trends and to execute TrenzWalks and future Sensoriums™ for both internal and external clients. Conduct TrenzWalks and Sensoriums for the most high-profile projects and customers.
- Create multimedia presentations that bring Foresight to life for specific FL customers and product categories; help teams visualize how to grow their product and brand offerings to meet the demands of the future consumer. Help to develop and implement the primary tools for promoting Trenz (e.g. Trenz room, video, Trenzwalks, and others). Lead large-scale Sensorium-style initiatives based on Trenz Team initiatives.
-Assist in the development and sustaining/reinforcement of customer relationships through on-going and "subscription" models of access to Trenz. Build relationships with thought leaders at key Firmenich clients based on collaboration and co-creation around Strategic Foresight and Trenz.
- Fully participate in, and contribute to, the Human Insights team so that trend analysis and early signals are combined with primary and secondary consumer research to communicate powerful insights and stories about Firmenich products in a way customers find unique and valid, while contributing to the overall Flavor business growth.
To be successful in this role we are seeking the following qualities:
A strong admixture of interest and skills that span the cultural arts (literature, written and spoken communication, graphic design, street art, entertainment) and human sciences (sociology, psychology, economics)
Conceptual Design capability – skills to translate empathic observations and insights into practical inspiration for new ideas and innovative products.
Fundamentally digital/digital native. Facile, expert and participatory in today’s social media platforms.
Strong ability to create compelling and visually captivating presentations.
Passion for, and knowledge of, global food cultures and ingredients.
Passion and drive to lead a Consumer and Human-centric culture – focused relentlessly on bringing what is “outside” the company to the “inside”
Strong Fragrance & Flavor or Food & Beverage business acumen and customer empathy
Strong influencing skills and communication skills
An engaging and inspiring leader and speaker
Bachelor’s degree (Masters preferred). Uniquely, any academic background can be considered provided the candidate can “connect the dots” between their academic credentials and the role at hand.
Must have at least 5 years of experience applying trends, signal detection, and activation skills in a B2B context: F&F CPG, or a company providing services to these fields is strongly preferred.
Demonstrated ability to understand human behavior across cultures and borders.
Demonstrated ability to speak in front of large audiences in a dynamic and compelling fashion (for example “TED talk” style of presentation).
Role requires the ability and willingness to travel substantially, domestically and internationally.