Key purpose of the role is to partner with Commercial Director, to accelerate the commercialization and business growth of Tate & Lyle China in target categories.
The role will lead business strategy plans with close collaboration with the regional Product management and category marketing teams in the region, and sales and technical teams in China. The role is responsible for building a robust pipeline of sales opportunities in target application areas as defined by the business strategy. The expectation is that the individual is an accomplished sales person with a strong grasp of value selling concepts and a solid understanding of the Chinese food ingredients landscape. The ability to speak fluently in Mandarin is key but a strong grasp of English is also important given the level of interaction expected with regional PM/CMs
The main responsibilities of the role will be :-
Strategy & Planning – lead the development and execution of both the strategic business and marketing plans, through the involvement and participation of the key stakeholders. Organize a quarterly review of these plans and drive delivery on key priorities to achieve business growth goals.
Business Development - identify emerging market trends and unmet customer needs in targeted segments. Distill these insights into differentiating value propositions and new business opportunities. Lead the springboard and segment strategies and execution in consultation with the regional springboard and segment teams.
Innovation & Product Portfolio Management – working closely with the local and regional technical and marketing managers, co-lead the innovation process and align unmet needs with our technology capabilities in segment & springboard focus areas. Lead the introduction of new products, pricing, positioning, promotions, manage the portfolio and interface with supply chain for optimum success, profitability and growth.
Competitive Intelligence – manage a system to collect, analyze, and provide insights into competitive activity to develop strategy and facilitate business decisions. Provide ongoing updated detailed profiles for all key competitors in China with a clear understanding of our market share in focused segments. Provide China competitor information to regional marketing for consolidation into regional competitor strategy development.
Communications – lead and manage communications on all business development and marketing activities through traditional, website, and digital media in collaboration with the Regional Marketing Manager. Evaluate program effectiveness and return on investment. Manage all brand communications and ensure brand equity is managed effectively.
Resource Management – provide career planning, support, and coaching for team. Attract and retain excellent talent delivering a high team performance. Set and manage spend within budgeted goals. Responsible for building capability in line with marketing excellence programme for the China marketing group.
Project Management – lead specific projects as required to support the business needs.
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Someone who is driven and passionate about connecting with customers and delivering results
- Someone who knows the sales process, with the ability to convert a target customer into a commercial order more quickly and effectively than the competition
- Someone who will lead by example and develop a successful and results-oriented team. One who is not afraid to be challenged by commercial obstacles.
- A problem solver. This person should bring with them a desire to achieve immediate impact, along with a longer term, reality based perspective, required to maintain and sustain business growth.
- Bachelor degree in food science or related technical industry
- An MBA or equivalent would be desirable
- Minimum of 15+ years’ experience in B2B sales&marketing with a strong link to the food ingredient industry and/or direct consumer packaged goods BD/marketing role.
- Past responsibility for leading a business or business segment. Experience within Asia Pacific region and must have experience in China
- Demonstrated ability to build a business from inception to significant financial size and capable of leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience in managing external marketing communication and research providers with knowledge of current market research techniques.
- Outstanding written and oral communication, presentation skills and interpersonal skills.
- Technically savvy with the ability to reduce technology concepts into clear/effective communication of all forms.
- Ability to think strategically and translate strategy into tangible business plans and actions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage network/matrix organizations to achieve business objectives via influence and persuasion.
- Ability to lead, inspire and communicate with confidence at multiple levels within an organization.
- Self-starter, ability to work with limited direct day-to-day management.
- Speaks fluent English and Mandarin
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Strong analysis skills
- Candidates should feel at ease in a multi-cultural team, in full compliance with safety policies and ethical business rules