Tate & Lyle is looking for an Analytical Scientist who will serve as a Senior Research Scientist and key area leader in the Analytical group, Global R&D. Global R&D is located at the Tate & Lyle facility in Hoffman Estates, IL (near Chicago).The team is currently composed of a diverse group of experienced scientists with skills in chromatography, spectroscopy, materials science, microbiology, and chemical analysis.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- This Senior Research Scientist will be engaged in planning and executing laboratory work to characterize ingredients, and planning project resources. Leads or acts as a key technical contributor on projects/experiments/research. The Senior Research scientist will act with considerable latitude in determining technical approach required to meet desired objectives. They will demonstrate the ability to apply extensive expertise with significant breadth or depth utilizing complex scientific theory and concepts, to assignment were precedents typically does not exist. Fully competent in reviewing scientific literature, developing hypothesis and planning and conducting experiments to confirm or disprove hypothesis. The Senior Research Scientist will also be expected to engage with internal and external resources to advance technical product development and to provide technical expertise to support existing business in relevant areas. They will develop solutions to complex problems that required the regular use of innovation and creativity in identifying and trying new and different approaches. Demonstrates ability to extrapolate learnings
- The Senior Research Scientist will lead or contribute to capability build and execution in a specific measurement area, driving successful use of measurement tools to advance new product development.
- The Senior Research Scientist will also engage with regulatory, legal, commercial and other non-technical personnel to ensure measurement work is in accordance with internal processes & metrics, and will be responsible for delivery of the measurement work packages against project timelines.
- The successful candidate will have a Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or related disciplines and 3+ years of industrial experience, an MS degree with 6+ years of industrial experience, or a BS degree with 9+ years of experience.
- A broad background and knowledge in characterizing small molecules or biomolecules such as carbohydrates, starches, fibers, proteins, or food ingredients and their matrices is required. Experience in carbohydrate chemistry and characterization is desired. Most desirably, this experience will include demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative analyses of carbohydrates or other natural products.
- Experience in all of the areas of measurement science from the following list is also desirable:
- Demonstrated experience in wet chemistry such as protein, lipid, or carbohydrate isolation and characterization; or other water chemistry disciplines. Specifically in the quantification of minor components within a complex matrix
- Hands-on expertise with wet chemical techniques such as nitrogen/protein analysis, moisture analysis, volatile analysis, oil and organic extractables, titrations, dietary fiber and carbohydrates is a primary responsibility. Most desirably, this experience will include application of techniques on food ingredients and their corresponding matrices
- Demonstrated industrial experience with spectroscopy techniques such as NIR, FTIR and/or Raman spectroscopy for measurement of major and minor components within a complex matrix. Experience with correlation modeling is also desirable
- Experience with chromatography separations, such as HPLC, UPLC, IC, or CE. Most desirably, this experience will include application of techniques on food ingredients and their corresponding matrices.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively provide leadership and direction and lead through influence.
- Established capabilities of data mining, visualizing results and presenting research output to create value.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact with others in a way that builds working relationships and leads to agility in execution. Effectively builds rapport with all levels of the organization.
COMPETENCIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Functional Leadership experience - Previous supervisory experience is a plus .
- Drive – Need to be passionate about his/her work, with a high energy level, strong work ethic, and internal drive for organizational and individual success. Ability to energize others in a team setting important.
- Execution – Demonstrated ability to complete assignments, meeting quality- and time-oriented objectives. Requires strong skills in timeline development and management.
- Problem Solving – Possesses excellent problem-solving skills and should be able to evaluate root causes, and take a systematic, structured view of projects/situations.
- Innovation - Demonstrated creativity, innovation, and ability to problem-solve.
- Team Work – Excellent teamwork skills, including an ability to work with diverse teams of people with multiple perspectives and talents, capable of functioning as individual contributor or team leader.
- Communication – Excellent communication and listening skills: should be articulate, with the ability to make arguments in a compelling manner at all organizational levels.
- Customer-Orientation – Customer-centric in approach, be they internal or external customers. Ability to conduct voice-of-customer interviews with customers to elicit insight on product development needs and product requirements.
- Safety – An exhibited dedication to safety and commitment to making safety the number one priority.