For more than half a century, we’ve focused on a single mission at Custom Culinary®: to create the finest-quality, most authentic bases, sauces and gravies for our foodservice and food processing customers. Developed by our culinary specialists to deliver made-from-scratch taste and inspired results in just minutes, our products bring exceptional aroma, flavor and consistency to all your signature dishes. True Taste begins with Custom Culinary®.
Purpose of the Position
Executes Custom Culinary ® Product Development projects and technical initiatives to develop new and optimized products for Branded and key accounts that support the overall Custom Culinary ® business strategy.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Functions as a scientist to develop new and optimized products in execution of technical activities that support Branded and customized products for key accounts that align with the overall Custom Culinary ® business strategy.
- Applies science, culinary and engineering knowledge to deliver the highest quality products that are based in research, production technology, ease of manufacturing, financial parameters, quality control, packaging, nutritional requirements, regulatory requirement, USDA and FDA applications.
- Works with some independence, exercising ingenuity and judgement in the approach to tasks.
- Responsible for the design, planning, execution, and reporting of experiments and commercialization of projects with intermediate complexity.
- Works within multiple priorities, projects and timelines concurrently.
- Uses scientific theory, technical understanding and creative problem-solving skills to approach projects.
- Communicates project progress internally to manager and externally as directed.
- Completes new product development and product formula maintenance activities to drive efficient production of safe and regulatory compliant food products.
- Follows Product Development processes to ensure efficiencies and effectiveness of function.
- Maintains GLP's, GMP's, and all required laboratory records, using electronic systems and written protocols.
- Supports department activities including product maintenance, cost savings initiatives and innovation as defined by the organizations long range plans.
- Supports departmental objectives around continuous improvement and cost savings opportunities
- Acts as a consultant to colleagues on appropriate current materials and vendors to use to meet technical and commercial requirements.May approve new raw materials, aid in definition of raw material status and rationalization of category and consult in Quality related issues.
- Represents Product Development in professional business relationships with Custom Culinary ® customers and suppliers, academics, government and corporations in the food industry.
- Responsible for maintaining the security of all information regarding product formulas and related confidential information.
Problem Solving/Decision Making:
- Understanding project parameters including customer procedures, product development processes, internal manufacturing capabilities and technical resources to meet project objectives.
- Interacting with cross-functional teams to provide technical information required to effectively respond to internal and external customer needs.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum level of education:BS in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Chemistry, Culinology or related technical degree.
- Culinary experience is beneficial
- Experience minimum would be 2-4 years of Research & Product Development experience within the food industry.
- Experience in working directly with customers and manufacturing facilities.
- Describe the working conditions related to the job including physical requirements, equipment used, time constraints, public contact, etc.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee is required to taste or smell. The employee will be required to use industrial and residential cooking appliances and analytical equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.