The Regional Human Resource Director Africa reports directly to the VP Africa and functionally to the VP HR Global Cocoa. This position will function as the senior human resources leader for the Africa Region. The Regional Human Resources Director serves as a member of Africa Regional Management team to develop the Africa organization strategy, key initiatives, business plans, and direct all Human Resources programs to support overall business objectives in the region. This position is located in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
The Regional Director ensures that the region can attract, develop and retain key talent to successfully carry out organization mission while adhering to Barry Callebaut values. The position provides advice and counsel to the VP Africa and the Management Team regarding organizational structure, work culture, performance management, compensation systems, and organizational development. The Regional HR Director provides consultancy on Human Resources activities in the region to include: employee relations, compliance, staff planning, recruitment, training and development, human resource information systems compensation, and employee benefits.
Working in a matrix organization, the Director has a direct relationship with HR leaders in the region and recruits, mentors, develops and challenges HR managers and other senior managers in the region. The Regional Director also ensures that the HR leaders are developing their departments and organization to organizational standards.
- In coordination and consultation with the VP Africa and VP HR Global Cocoa, establishes the strategic direction for Human Resources regionally; develops and implements human resource policies and procedures that support goals, ensuring compliance with (related countries) labor laws
- Operates as an organizational leader and internal consultant to management in the identification, development, and implementation of human resource strategies for the region
- Manages the recruitment process (along with local HR leaders) for senior management positions in the region and works with HR leaders to forecast staffing needs and budgets
- Counsels and coaches HR Leaders on employment-related issues; participate, (where needed) in the resolution of employee grievances
- Implements and maintains a talent assessment system to identify skill-gaps in potential leaders and recommend training and growth options as appropriate
- Provides coaching to HR leaders and executives on personal and organizational growth and helps develop and implement succession plans
- Working with Global Center of Expertise to support the implementation in Africa of leadership development programs to ensure all leaders and potential leaders have the necessary skills to succeed as well as to align performance management program and compensation strategy with key organizational goals
- Works closely with the VP HR Global Cocoa and HR leaders on identifying and implementing HR automation tools and takes an innovative approach to streamlining HR administration in line with the HR Global Structure direction
- Evaluates business initiatives to determine the appropriate organizational effectiveness interventions needed to meet organizational goals
- Acts as a change agent providing the support and mechanism to implement major changes to the operations of the business
- Bachelor’s degree desired; Masters preferred in Human Resource Management, Psychology or related studies
- Ten or more years of progressive Human Resources experience with at least 5 years in a senior HR executive role
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective interpersonal relationships with a wide spectrum of stakeholders
- A successful track record of managing multiple international locations in a matrix environment
- Strong partnering, facilitating, influencing and negotiating skills. Ability to diplomatically work in a variety of cultural settings, with actual living and work experience in African countries
- Proficiency in utilizing/implementing HR technology and systems – HRIS, Applicant Management Systems, Computer Based Training systems, etc.
- Strong business knowledge and capability to assess HR implications of business priorities
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information
- Ability to delegate, coach, develop and manage a diverse and geographically dispersed team
- Flexibility and willingness to travel a minimum 50% of the time are critical
- French language understanding is a must