Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join our Functional Ingredients (FI) team in our Research Development & Application (RD&A) center in Lenexa, Kansas. The FI team is a critical part of the Corbion Food RD&A team and plays a key role in delivering food ingredient technologies and application projects that will support Corbion's ingredient solution business, especially in the bakery ingredient business. This team works closely with the bakery industrial team and RD&A application team in leading and executing projects that will deliver products that will meet the market and customer needs. This team will also serve as the technical and knowledge resources for our internal and external customers.
Our ideal candidate is a well-trained scientist who is specialized in enzyme chemistry with a solid food science background which includes experience and knowledge in functional food ingredients, especially in various enzymes, and other food applications.
- Lead the enzyme biochemical analysis and research, responsible for managing the enzyme analysis lab.
- Work with the Food RDA team to support enzyme application projects in foods, esp. in enzyme applications in baking.
- Grow the capability in supporting and /or leading enzyme-related food application projects.
- Support other functional groups, such as sales, technical service, procurement, etc., for their needs in enzyme analysis, trouble-shooting, solution development, and trainings.
- Support customers for their need in enzyme analysis, trouble-shooting, and trainings.
- Work closely with enzyme suppliers in learning and transforming their new technologies into application solutions that can create values to Corbion and to our customers.
- Proactively participate in building project pipeline by offering enzyme and enzyme application expertise and technical insights.
- Be flexible in taking on additional tasks, as needed, to support company’s business needs.
- Minimum a BS degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Enzymology, or other equivalent discipline, but a MS degree is more preferred. A degree in food science or cereal chemistry will be plus also.
- 5+ years' experience in R&D lab or biochemical lab with a solid background and experience in enzyme and protein analysis is required.
- Fully capable of developing and implementing methods for enzyme analysis, such as various enzyme activity assays, SDS-PAGE, HPLC, etc.
- A good understanding of various enzymes and their food applications, is a plus.
- A solid understanding of principles of food science and/or bakery science, food ingredient functionalities, and food analytical techniques, are highly desirable.
- A customer focus with a drive for results and can-do mentality are a must. Capable of building trusted relationship with customers to become their go-to expert.
- Highly motivated self-starter with excellent time-management and a passion for driving results.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills are required. Must be able to work effectively in cross-functional team environment.
- Capable of initiating projects and bring new ideas into the organization.
- Must be able to self-manage multiple project/tasks
- Team-player: builds on expertise of others, and capable of connecting the dots to drive for optimal results.
- Good problem solving skills, capable of using tools in experimental design and statistical analysis
- May need to travel overnight 10-20%.
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion careers page at www.corbion.com. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.