Corbion is the global market leader in lactic acid, lactic acid derivatives, and a leading company in emulsifiers, functional enzyme blends, minerals, vitamins and algae ingredients. We develop sustainable ingredient solutions to improve the quality of life for people today and for future generations. For over 100 years, we have been uncompromising in our commitment to safety, quality, innovation and performance. Drawing on our deep application and product knowledge, we work side-by-side with customers to make our cutting edge technologies work for them. Our solutions help differentiate products in markets such as food, home & personal care, animal nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and bioplastics. We have factories in the Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, Thailand and the United States. Corbion has a worldwide network of sales offices and agents in more than 100 countries. Quality, product innovation, and customer orientation are important attributes for our client, which is also characterized by being a collegial, informal and result-oriented company culture.
Corbion’s Algae Ingredients business is based in South San Francisco and leads the industry in developing new applications and markets for algae-based products. We have a range of sustainably produced algae products that deliver breakthrough innovations for human and animal nutrition.
An opportunity is available in our Pilot Plant group to support downstream process development and technology transfer efforts. The successful candidate will be an integral member of a multi-disciplinary team focused on the development of new products and processes utilizing Corbion’s unique fermentation based technology.
- Aid in the design, implementation, and operation of bench and pilot scale experiments, with focus on downstream product recovery from fermentation broth.
- Develop, support and/or optimize lab and pilot-scale manufacturing processes including drying, particle size reduction, extraction, filtration, separation, chemical modification, etc.
- Evaluate, procure and operate lab and pilot plant equipment to evaluate new materials, optimize production processes, and generate samples for characterization and application development.
- Work within a team framework, with both individual responsibility and support of other scientists.
- Perform mass and energy balances for selected unit operations or processes.
- Develop analytical methods; hands-on skills with instrumental analysis and wet chemistry.
- Interpret and present analytical and experimental data.
- Transfer technology and knowledge to commercial operations.
- Plan and coordinate external development projects with contract labs and vendors.
- Maintain an accurate laboratory notebook.
- Write test protocols, SOP's and reports.
- Up to 25% travel may be required
- Qualified applicants will possess a B.S., MS or equivalent in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering, Chemistry, Biology or a related field, with 1+ year industrial experience.
- Experience in operating and maintaining lab and pilot-scale process equipment.
- Experience in analyzing biological materials using common analytical chemistry and wet chemistry methods, as well as developing and running physical chemistry/process characterization methods.
- Excellent written and verbal communication; and the ability to work both independently in a multi-disciplinary environment and as a key teammate within an interdisciplinary team
- Skillful in problem solving and trouble-shooting data, equipment, and procedures.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment without sacrificing accuracy, quality of work, and safety.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point
- Knowledge of Statistical Design of Experiments and Statistics
HOW TO APPLY:
The method for applying for this vacancy is online via the Corbion’s home page at www.corbion.com/careers. No other forms of application will be accepted.
Corbion is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicapping condition, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.
Corbion provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the local Corbion Human Resources department. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.